Boiler breakdowns are a huge hassle and are often a surprise. The last thing you want in your home is to have your broiler breakdown come winter time, leaving you and your family in the cold during the holidays. To avoid a troublesome boiler emergency regular maintenance will keep your boiler pumping the heat. Basic boiler maintenance can be a do-it-yourself task as it just requires mainly looking over your system and the gauges. If your boiler is old and you are concerned about its functionality, replacing your boiler may be the best option.
If you are unsure of whether or not your boiler needs to be replaced it is always good to just give your system a once over and look for any damage. Here are some very basic DIY boiler maintenance tips.
- Look for any cracks and or leaks.
- Check the pressure gauge. It should be between 12-15 PSI.
- Make sure the space near your boiler is clutter free.
- Schedule regular professional maintenance before each winter.
If you are still unsure as to whether it is time for a new boiler here is another factor to consider, age. The older your boiler is the more maintenance it will require to keep it running smoothly. After a few major repairs, your boiler is most likely on its way out. Replacing your boiler before it completely breaks down is the best way to prevent any loss of quality of life, especially if it is the beginning of chillier weather. Replacing your boiler may seem like a task that should only be left to the boiler experts but with a few helpful tips you can right boiler for your home in no time!
- Make sure you know what kind of system you currently own-is it a gas boiler, a combi boiler, cast iron boiler, etc.
- Get a similar style new boiler as your old one. If you are looking for a quick and easy transition to a new boiler, use the same type that you had before. This will help make sure you have the right hook ups and necessary parts.
- Know your boilers measurements. These are located in the handbook that comes with your boiler.
- Research different models. This can easily be done online or with the help of a professional, knowing your options for efficiency and other features will make you feel more confident in your final choice.
- Check the warranty that comes with your new boiler.
Winter is not the time to be stuck without a boiler to provide heat. Make sure that you regularly perform boiler maintenance. When it comes time for a replacement boiler you must act fast! At Crosstown Plumbing Supply, we supply boilers in East Orange, NJ. Our large selection will meet your needs of a boiler in northern, NJ so you can stay warm during the frigid winter months! For more helpful information on boilers in New Jersey, contact us!