It’s time for spring cleaning! The weather is getting warmer and there’s this undeniable sense to refresh, so many people take this opportunity to deep clean their homes. While you’ll undoubtedly clean your closets, your floors, and your kitchen, it’s important to also include your plumbing system on your spring cleaning checklist. The plumbing in your home needs regular cleaning just like everything else, and taking proper care of your plumbing system is one way to keep it healthy and functioning for many years to come.
Here are several spring cleaning tips for your home’s plumbing systems:
- Put strainers and hair catchers in all of your drains to prevent clogs. We generally rinse a lot of hair down our bathroom drains, and a lot of food waste down our kitchen drains. This debris can easily cause clogs and affect the health of your pipes, so mitigate the problem by using strainers and hair catchers. They are very affordable, simple solutions that go a long way in keeping your drains clog-free.
- Check your sinks for any leaks or drips. Even the smallest leak can be indicative of a larger problem, so take care of it now before it gets worse.
- Get rid of any limescale build up on your showerhead and sinks. Mineral deposits are common, and depending on the quality of your water, you may have a little or a lot of limescale present. If the build up gets bad it can prevent your appliances from working properly.
- Flush out every drain. If you have drains in your home that you don’t use frequently, flush them out with water to prevent odors and ensure there are no clogs.
- Thoroughly clean your garbage disposal. It’s easy to simply dump food waste into the disposal and forget about it, but your disposal requires regular cleaning.
- Clean out the lint traps in your washing machine and dryer. If you have a laundry sink, empty the trap underneath that as well.
Advice from a NJ plumbing company you can trust
In addition to annual spring cleaning, we recommend having your plumbing inspected regularly by professionals. Proper maintenance is beneficial for the health and longevity of your plumbing, and it also helps detect small issues before they become big, expensive problems that disrupt your life.
To learn more about how Crosstown Plumbing can help you with your plumbing spring cleaning checklist, or if you have any other plumbing questions, please contact us today. Discover why so many industry professionals in New Jersey choose us as their preferred plumbing supply company.