It’s a new year, and that means it’s time to take stock of your plumbing supplies. When was the last time you did a full review of your plumbing toolkit? Or checked that you have a substantial supply of the most up-to-date tools and essential items? There are certain tools every industry professional should have as standard, and these tools can help you get almost any job done.
Here are the essentials:
- Four types of plungers. All plumbers know the importance of having each type of plunger: a toilet plunger, a flanged plunger, a standard cup plunger, and an accordion plunger. Different clogs require specific plungers and you’ll definitely be using all four while on the job.
- A good set of pipe wrenches. These handy tools come in a range of different sizes and are used for different types of jobs, like fixing a corroded shower head and stubborn faucets, or squeezing into hard-to-reach spaces with awkward angles.
- A good set of Allan keys. An Allan key is an L-shaped metal tool that is used to loosen screws on faucets, shower heads, and other plumbing fixtures. Like pipe wrenches, Allen keys come in a range of sizes and they’re one of the most commonly-used tools in a plumber’s toolkit.
- A drain snake. For tough clogs that plungers can’t fix, the next step is using a drain snake to break up the clog. There are specific snakes for sinks, toilets, showers, and other piping systems, so ensure you’ve got all of them in your kit.
- Protective equipment: safety gloves and protective eyewear. As a plumber you know how often you’re exposed to harsh chemicals, different types of bacteria, and other contaminants. It’s always recommended to wear protective glasses and gloves while on the job, and it’s good to keep a few extra pairs of each in your plumbing toolkit.
Stock up on must-have plumbing supplies
We see an increase in plumbing issues right after the holiday season since people are home with family and friends and using bathrooms, showers, and sinks more often. In preparation for the plumbing calls you’re likely to get soon, we recommend checking your plumbing toolkit now and stocking up before the busy season hits.
If you have any questions about the essential items we recommend having in your plumbing toolkit, or if you have any other plumbing questions, please contact Cross Town Plumbing today.