Though plumbing is a crux of modern day conveniences, it’s not until we have a plumbing issue that we realize just how dependent we are. Businesses and homeowners alike can avoid plumbing issues by following these six plumbing maintenance tips provided by the plumbing supply professionals at Crosstown Plumbing.
- Prevent clogged drains: Clogged drains happen to every home, but they are easy to prevent using an environmentally friendly drain clearing solution which you can easily make at home. Just mix 1 cup of baking soda, 1 cup of salt and ¼ cup of cream of tartar. Simply pour an equal amount of the mix down each drain and follow that with 2 cups of hot water.
- Keep drains grease-free: This is especially important in winter, when cold pipes are more likely to collect grease from cooking. All you have to do is run cold water for 15 seconds before and after using your garbage disposal and avoid pouring grease down your drains whenever possible.
- Insulate all your pipes: Extreme changes in temperature are very wearing on pipes, valves and other plumbing fittings, so ensure your home’s insulation includes your pipes. Remember to have specialists check hot and cold water pipes, as well as pipes in drafty areas like crawl spaces, attics and garages.
- Drain your water heater: It’s best to drain your hot water heater once a year to remove the sediment that builds up from use and keep it working at optimal performance. It’s best to undertake this task in the fall, before the weather gets cold. This gives you enough time to contact a plumbing specialist and do any necessary repairs before the busy winter season starts.
- Monitor your utility bill: An unexplained increase in water use on your utility bill can be a sign of a plumbing problem in your home, so be sure to regularly track your water usage. Leaks, toilets that aren’t flushing properly and dripping showers can easily add significant waste water to your bill and the sooner these issues are resolved, the better – for your home’s plumbing and your wallet.
- Watch out for leaks: Even small water leaks can lead to big problems including: mold and water damage on walls, floors and cabinets, and eventually even structural problems in your home. Avoid long term issues by repairing leaks as soon as they appear.
Affordable parts and great advice from New Jersey plumbing suppliers
At Crosstown Plumbing Supply, we focus on bringing our clients a complete service – from affordably priced brand name plumbing supplies to expert advice on any plumbing project, large or small. Thanks to our great relationship with industry professionals, we can also put you in touch with reliable plumbing companies that will deliver high-quality services.
For more information about our plumbing parts company and the stock we carry, please contact us or visit our website at crosstownplumbing.com today.