Furnace maintenance is essential for property owners, whether you happy to tackle it yourself the DIY way or call out plumbing repair specialists to perform a regular service. Here are some great tips for homeowners on keeping your furnace in perfect working order:
DIY furnace maintenance
The first step to any DIY project is ensuring your safety. Switch your furnace off completely before attempting any maintenance. If you have a gas furnace and you can smell gas in your home, do not try to fix it – rather, leave your home immediately (leaving the door open) and report it to the gas company or fire department.
- Regularly examine your furnace and heating system for signs of leaks, wear-and-tear, stains and corrosion.
- Clear away debris which collects around the furnace – dust, rags, paint, drain cleaner and chemicals are all potential fire hazards.
- Clean the blower assembly, pulleys and belts with a damp cloth to remove any dust the filters didn’t catch.
- Clean filters at least twice during the winter season and replace any filters that are looking worn or damaged.
- Check warm air outlets to ensure they are clear of debris and that the air can circulate into the room easily.
- Check the system’s air supply to ensure it is clear and isn’t blocked or obstructed by any structures, debris or household items.
Professional furnace repair
Even the best maintained furnaces can require more complicated repairs or servicing, so it’s a good idea to call in the professionals once a year before the seasonal rush. They can assist you with:
- Fixing or replacing loose ductwork.
- Lubricating blower motor bearings.
- Thoroughly cleaning the system.
- Repairing improperly firing burners.
- Unblocking the condensate drain.
- Repairing or replacing a broken thermostat.
Need to replace or upgrade your furnace? Speak to us today
At Crosstown Plumbing Supply, we offer a wide range of standard and high efficiency gas and electric furnaces as well as quality furnace parts. With our affordable wholesale prices, reliable contacts in the heating services industry and prime location in a in a 3.5% NJ sales tax zone, you are guaranteed to get the best deal at the best price. For more information on our furnaces and heating systems, please visit our website at https://www.crosstownplumbing.com/ today.